Sunday 23 June 2019

Running and Injuries

I used to be quite the runner I have completed two marathons and dozens of half marathons and 10k's my medal collection is quite something but I have also run for a friends trust fund and over time I raised over 1,500 pounds in money for the trust.

I was running right up until December 2017 when I fell very ill and didn't know what was wrong with me I had very bad pains in my side and this went on up until April 2018 when I was rushed to hospital in absolute agony and was told I had something wrong with my gall bladder I was in hospital for a week due to the pain and ended up having my gall bladder out whilst I was in there. My gall bladder was so poorly apparently it could have nearly burst. The recuperation time was a couple of months and I was so thankful to have had it out as I felt instantly better for it.

So afterthat I started running again and had to build up my fitness again all was going fine until end of June and I ended up trying to grab my dog who had run off and I fell and bashed myself against a bench and broke a rib so my running stopped again as more recuperation time needed to heal.

Now at the end of August I thought I can finally get back to running and what happens I end up in a dog fight between my dog and another dog and silly me I put my hand in the other dogs mouth to prise it open off my dog and the dog bit down on my finger and it ended up having a munch on it and finally when the owner had got their dog under control I could see my mangled finger. My dog was fine by the way but my finger was not. I was rushed to hospital as it wouldn't stop bleeding and the tear in it was right the way round my finger right down to the bone and was literally being held on by some skin. The hospital was great and numbed my finger up to check out the damage and they couldn't see my tendon anywhere so the dog had not only chewed on my finger but chewed through my tendon. The next day I had an operation on my finger and they had to fix my flexor tendon and my nerve which had both been chewed through. I was in a cast for a few days and then had to have physio straight away and a weekly clean of the wound. This recuperation time lasted for 3 months so by the time I was fit to run again it was nearing Christmas and I was shattered.

I still haven't been able to start my running up yet as whilst I was in hospital for my gall bladder they checked on my kidney as I had coils in it from a previous non cancerous tumour and well you guessed it the tumour had come back and was bigger than before. So now I am unable to run properly due to the tumour on my kidney just in case it starts to bleed as the tumour is just made up of blood vessels and is easily disturbed.

I hope you're still with me on this, I know what tales of woe!! I am now having an operation on my kidney this year to embolise it again and put more coils in it to shrink this new tumour down and have the old coils removed. Phew!! But I am determined to get running again and once I have recuperated from this operation I hopefully and I say this again hopefully will be able to get back into my running again.

I have put in for the ballot to the London Marathon next year as it has always been my dream to run it and I have applied to some charities to run for them also.

I am hoping that by getting into my running again it will help my mental health as I have been very down recently also. I just need to get this operation out of the way and that is all I am waiting on now.

Now a betting person would say Nah you're never going to run again but I am determined to get my fitness back up and start again. It's not going to be easy but I am not going to let these setbacks beat me down and just give up. If you have a dream don't ever give up on it as there is always time to accomplish anything you want.
medal bling

No comments:

Mental health etc…

I haven’t blogged in such a long time but that is due to my mental health being in the toilet for a while there.  I am on some medication no...