Sunday 7 July 2019

Insomnia

Insomnia, also known as sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder in which people have trouble sleeping.[1]They may have difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep as long as desired.[9][11] Insomnia is typically followed by daytime sleepiness, low energy, irritability, and a depressed mood.[1] It may result in an increased risk of motor vehicle collisions, as well as problems focusing and learning.[1] Insomnia can be short term, lasting for days or weeks, or long term, lasting more than a month.

For as long as I can remember I haven't slept well, well I can pin point it down to when I had my first child as I needed to listen out for her and just seemed to sleep lightly. It has progressed into not sleeping very well at all now. 

I have tried herbal treatments and apps but neither has worked. I also suffer from sleep paralysis at least once a night.

Sleep paralysis is when, during waking up or falling asleep, a person is aware but unable to move or speak.[1][2] During an episode, one may hallucinate (hear, feel, or see things that are not there), which often results in fear.[1] Episodes generally last less than a couple of minutes.[2] It may occur as a single episode or be recurrent.[1]

I usually try drifting off to the TV or radio or watch some youtube videos which can make me feel sleepy but when I do sleep it is always light and never full sleep. I usually wake up a few times in the night if I do eventually get to sleep. 

I usually find at night my head is full of stuff and I'm sat there worrying about things that either haven't happened or are going to happen I hate that. Clear your mind people say but that is easier said than done. 

I can now accept the night of poor sleep and move on sometimes if I get a chance I'll take a nap during the day. I use the sleep deprivation caused by the poor night’s sleep to sleep better the night after if I can but it is very rare to get a good nights sleep fully these days. 

I know a lot of people suffer from this let me know if you have trouble sleeping and what your remedies or advice is for insomnia its always good to hear from other people on the subject.




No comments:

Mental health etc…

I haven’t blogged in such a long time but that is due to my mental health being in the toilet for a while there.  I am on some medication no...